Windshield wipers are easily the most forgotten moving part on your vehicle… until you need them. Unfortunately many drivers, for whatever reason, try to get longer life from their windshield wiper blades. Driving in the rain, snow, or slushy weather can be dangerous enough without trying to see through a blurred or smeared windshield.
You owe it to yourself, your family, and the other drivers on the road, to have wiper blades that keep your visibility at the optimum level for the conditions.
When should you change your wiper blades?
Some people like to change their wiper blades on a set schedule, like every six months for example. Some people choose to change them when the blades start to lose their effectiveness. Many factors determine how frequently you need to change your wiper blades. Such as, how often do you use them? Do you live in an area that gets lots of rain or snow? Are your wiper blades exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures?
What does your Paragon Motors technician look for when inspecting your wiper blades?
- Condition of the wiper blade frame at the joints or connection points
- Any signs of corrosion from washer fluid or Winter salt
- All signs of damage to squeegees such as cracks, tears, or missing pieces
- Test the flexibility of squeegee rubber to ensure it has proper movement
- Look for rounded edges on squeegee rubber as signs of excessive wear
- Check to see wiper is properly attached
If you haven’t changed your wiper blades in the last 6 – 12 months they need to be checked. If your wiper blades smear rather than clean your windshield, it’s time to replace them. If your wiper blades skip and miss spots, then they need to be replaced.
Call or come in. Let’s keep you safe.